Being in an accident, especially if you have sustained significant injuries and damages, can be a very traumatic and emotional experience. It is important, however, to try and keep a level head after being involved in an accident in order to collect as much information as possible. Keep in mind that any information you do collect could be key in helping your attorney establish liability, and help you increase the chances of a favorable outcome in your case.
Not all accident cases are as a result of another party's negligence though, some are caused unintentionally by the victim themselves. That is why it is important to consult with an experienced Nassau County personal injury lawyer right away. The lawyers from our law office will be able to review your case, help you determine who was liable for the accident, thus allowing you to know whether or not you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries.
Immediately after an accident you should take the following steps:
1) Indentify all parties involved in the accident, including any possible witnesses, and get their contact information.
2) Take pictures of the accident scene. Include pictures of the surrounding area, any unsafe conditions, or other evidence that may not be there after the accident has been cleaned up. For example, if a tree was blocking a street sign, and that contributed to the accident, take a picture. If you don't, you may come back later to find the tree has been trimmed back, thus making it appear that the sign was always visible.
3) Seek medical attention for your injuries at once. Any delay in seeking medical attention could not only lead to further medical complications, but legal ones as well. Be sure to follow all medical advice as well.
4) Do not speak to insurance company representatives about the accident, or agree to any settlement. Insurance companies are primarily concerned with maintaining their bottom line, and will often work quickly to get a settlement agreement reached, regardless of whether it is fair or not.
5) Contact a personal injury attorney at the Law Offices of Charles R. Gueli immediately, so that we can begin working on your case, gathering evidence, reviewing the details surrounding your accident, helping determine where liability lies, advising you on how best to proceed, and working diligently to see that you get the aggressive representation you deserve.
Contact a Nassau County personal injury lawyer at our office immediately and schedule your confidential consultation (516) 628-6402 . We are here to help you!