Bus Accident Claims in Nassau County
Protecting Your Rights in a Personal Injury Claim
While thousands of people use the bus system each day throughout the United States, there were nearly 13,000 buses that were in some way involved in accidents in 2010. New York City has one of the highest rates of bus accidents in the entire country with 801 injuries in crashes involving buses.
Additionally there were 307 buses in the middle of crashes causing injury and 468 buses involved in non-fatal crashes in 2010 for the state of New York. Due to the size and weight of a city bus, those who are involved in an accident with this large vehicle can sustain very serious injuries. Additionally, passengers on a bus when it is involved in an accident can be very easily injured as well.
One of the most common reasons for bus accidents is due to negligent behavior on the part of the bus driver. Whether that means texting and driving or just general carelessness behind the wheel, it has been the cause of multiple incidents throughout the city. Due to the fact that buses are "common carriers," meaning that they are responsible for carrying multiple passengers for long distances, they can be liable for any injuries sustained while using their transportation service. Understand how to best determine liability by speaking with a member of our legal team immediately.
Causes of Bus Accidents
There are many contributing factors that can easily be at the root cause of a bus accident. Unfortunately because they are such large vehicles, one small error or moment of careless driving can result in numerous injuries or fatalities.
Below are listed some of the most common causes of bus accidents:
- Fatigue: According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) not getting sufficient sleep is becoming a health epidemic. This is partly due to the fact that tired driving is quickly becoming a leading cause of roadway collisions.
- Distracted Driving: Despite the fact that bus drivers are in charge of protecting multiple individuals as they transport them from place to place, they do not always take their job as seriously as they should. Eating, texting, talking on the phone, working with their GPS devices and other modes of distraction can easily cause them to take their focus off the road.
- Aggressive Driving: If a driver is prone to reckless driving, something may easily set them off while on the road. Bus drivers can see the road as a competition and if they are cut off or unable to drive do to other obstacles, things may escalate into a dangerous driving situation. It has been reported that 62 percent of all motorists on the road have been guilty of road rage.
- Abusing drugs or alcohol: Any driver that is under the influence of controlled substances or alcohol presents a serious risk to those in their vehicle and others on the road. This is an extremely matter when it comes to bus drivers because they are responsible for a large group of individuals.
- Speeding: For bus drivers, they are under a strict schedule and they must not stray from their route without running the risk of falling behind their timetable. This can easily lead to speeding on the road, but due to their large size it can be difficult for buses to come to a stop if a sudden or quick stop is necessary.
- Error with the Bus: Some bus owners do not take the time and money to keep their buses up to the proper safety standard. Neglecting prominent issues can end up costing many people their lives. Whether it involves regular maintenance of replacing faulty parts, bus owners are responsible for the performance of their motor coaches.
Get in touch with a Nassau County bus accident lawyer if you have fallen victim to a collision involving a negligent bus driver. As a passenger in the bus, a pedestrian on the streets, or another car on the road, you have the right to seek compensation if a reckless driver has caused you injury.
If you were involved in an accident with a bus or if you were a passenger on a bus when it was involved in an accident then you may be able to claim damages if the driver was at fault. These damages are designed to help compensate for the cost of treatment, therapy and recovery, hospital bills, medication expenses and other medical costs.
Our firm can help you understand what to do after a bus accident, including vital steps to take and why you should obtain a qualified attorney. Visit our FAQ page to gain valuable answers to some of your most pressing bus accident questions as well. If you need a personal injury attorney in Long Island, you can rely on our legal team to work personally with you from start to finish on your case.
Injured in a bus accident in Long Island? Our firm can help!
It's important to the success of your case that you have skilled and experienced representation on your side in order to increase your chances of a desirable outcome. We will answer your questions regarding your case, discuss your options, and advise you of the best legal action for you to take and provide you with aggressive representation of your personal injury claim in court if you choose to work with us.
If you are seeking damages for injuries you have sustained then you will greatly benefit by obtaining legal assistance from the Law Offices of Charles R. Gueli. Our firm is intent on providing excellent service for all of our clients. We have successful history in the cases that we handle and we have many satisfied clients whom we have represented in the past.
Contact a Nassau County personal injury attorney and learn more about how a lawyer from our firm can help you with your bus accident claim.
Do I Need An Injury Attorney?
Understand the importance of having legal assistance to help you gain compensation for your injury.
Determine Your Case Worth
It is important to understand these five factors that come into account when filing an injury claim.
Benefits of Working With Us
You can expect to work directly with a skilled and dedicated legal team when you hire our firm.