Despite our love for them, dogs are not always man’s best friend. Dog attacks are extremely upsetting and dangerous, and the majority of victims of these traumatizing attacks are young children who suffer lifelong consequences as a result. Children suffering from dog bites, even minor ones, often require extensive treatment and care including stitches, shots, and surgery. These incidents are made all the more complicated when the dog in question belongs to your neighbor. While this makes the situation perhaps slightly more uncomfortable, it does not take away from your rights to pursue compensation on your child’s behalf.
Following a dog attack, make sure your child is out of harm’s way and proceed with the following:
- Tend to his or her wounds as best as you can. Immediately dial 911 and request medical services. Even the slightest scratch can expose your child to dangerous diseases or infections which must be treated as soon as possible.
- Obtain the dog owner’s contact information. This may prompt an angry confrontation, which should be avoided at all costs. Pet owners tend to be overprotective of their animals and refuse to accept responsibility for the incident. Do not attempt to resolve the issue on the spot.
- Contact animal control. Make sure to file a report and verify the circumstances of your child’s injury.
- Gather evidence if possible. This includes photos of your child’s injury and the scene of the attack. Do not wash your child’s clothing and keep it safe.
- If there were any witnesses to the attack, collect their contact information. They may prove to be extremely useful for your future claim.
After a dog bite, the state of New York allocates responsibility onto the dog owner if there is proof of negligence. If the owner did not use reasonable care to prevent their dog from causing harm, he or she may be held liable for damages.
At the Law Offices of Charles R. Gueli, our skilled personal injury attorney is prepared to go above and beyond to deliver the compensation you deserve. If your child has been injured in an animal attack, we understand this is undoubtedly a very painful and frightening time for you. No matter how impossible or challenging your situation may seem, we have the experience and resources to fight for justice on your behalf.
To speak to a representative of our firm, call (516) 628-6402 and schedule your initial consultation today.